Pop Shots – A Look at the #1 Songs of My Birthday


Welcome to your weekly dose of pop world musings. Being that yesterday was my birthday, I decided I wanted to do something special for this week’s Pop Shots. At first I was going to list my top five songs that have been #1 on October 15th, but as I went through all the Billboard Hot 100 charts from that special day I realized there were way more than five songs I wanted to talk about. With that in mind I came up with a new concept, and put together a list of every song that was #1 on my birthday, starting with the year I was born.

So after a little bit a research, and a whole lotta music being played, here is that list, complete with music video highlights! Of course, since this is Pop Shots you know everything is seasoned with a little bit of attitude.

The 1970s


Being that the only birthdays I had in the ‘70s were my actual day of birth, and my first birthday, I don’t have much of a ‘70s birthday playlist. While I was completely unaware of Exile, and their hit “Kiss You All Over,” before putting this column together, I think we can all agree Michael Jackson’s “Don’t Stop ’Til You Get Enough” is one heck of a soundtrack for a first birthday!

1978 Exile – Kiss You All Over
1979 Michael Jackson – Don’t Stop ’Til You Get Enough

The 1980s


The ‘80s were, by far, my best decade for birthday #1s, with some of the greatest songs of all-time being in the top spot on October 15th. The majority of these hits are songs I still crank up to this day (and I bet you do, too)! Queen, John Cougar Mellencamp, Bonnie Tyler, Whitesnake, and Janet Jackson are just some of the names in this incredible lineup. The only way this decade could’ve been better is if in 1985 I hadn’t missed out on having a-ha’s “Take On Me” at #1 on my birthday by just four days.

1980 Queen – Another One Bites The Dust
1981 Lionel Richie & Diana Ross – Endless Love
1982 John Cougar Mellencamp – Jack & Diane



1983 Bonnie Tyler – Total Eclipse of the Heart
1984 Stevie Wonder – I Just Called to Say I Love You
1985 Ready For The World – Oh Sheila
1986 Janet Jackson – When I Think of You
1987 Whitesnake – Here I Go Again



1988 UB40 – Red Red Wine
1989 Janet Jackson – Miss You Much

The 1990s


The ‘90s were a time when two names completely took over the #1 spot on my birthday – Mariah Carey, and Boyz II Men. Between the two of them, they had the top spot on the Billboard Hot 100 on my birthday six times during the decade, including five years in a row! Ironically, none of those times were for their duet, “One Sweet Day.”

1990 George Michael – Praying For Time
1991 Mariah Carey – Emotions
1992 Boyz II Men – End of the Road
1993 Mariah Carey – Dreamlover
1994 Boyz II Men – I’ll Make Love to You
1995 Mariah Carey – Fantasy



1996 Los Del Rio – Macarena
1997 Elton John – Candle in the Wind 1997
1998 Monica – The First Night
1999 Mariah Carey w/ Jay-Z – Heartbreaker

The 2000s


For a decade that gave us some great music, the ‘00s didn’t exactly hook me up with birthday greatness. In fact, the decade saddled me with the original American Idol song (“A Moment Like This”), Soulja Boy’s “Crank That,” and Black Eyed Peas’ “I Gotta Feeling.” Oh well, at least in 2000 Christina Aguilera was inviting me to “Come On Over,” and in 2006 I was able to bring “SexyBack.”

2000 Christina Aguilera – Come On Over
2001 Alicia Keys – Fallin’
2002 Kelly Clarkson – A Moment Like This
2003 Beyonce w/ Sean Paul – Baby Boy
2004 Ciara w/ Petey Pablo – Goodies
2005 Kanye West w/ Jamie Foxx – Gold Digger
2006 Justin Timberlake – SexyBack



2007 Soulja Boy – Crank That (Soulja Boy)
2008 T.I. – Whatever You Like
2009 Black Eyed Peas – I Gotta Feeling

The 2010s


I’d say the jury’s still out on the current decade when it comes to my birthday #1s, but I have to face facts, even with two years of potential greatness left, any decade that sticks me with The Chainsmokers, and Meghan Trainor, is gonna take a miracle to save. I guess I can take solace in the fun bit of trivia that in 2012 an Adam was at #1 on my birthday. That’s some serious Adam power, yo!

2010 Bruno Mars – Just The Way You Are
2011 Adele – Someone Like You
2012 Maroon 5 – One More Night
2013 Lorde – Royals



2014 Meghan Trainor – All About That Bass
2015 The Weeknd – The Hills
2016 The Chainsmokers w/ Halsey – Closer
2017 Cardi B – Bodak Yellow (Money Moves)

And with that, my time is up for the week, but I'll be back next week with more shots on all things pop.

Comments

Popular Posts